Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH v14 09/11] builtin/fsck: add `git-refs verify` child process

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2024 06:49:25 +0200

On Tue, Aug 06, 2024 at 08:54:34AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> > But if "git refs verify" does exercise all the new code paths (and
> >> > the refactored code that existed before this series, sitting now in
> >> > different places), then I do not have to worry about it.  My question
> >> > was primarily to extract "even though we do not wire this up to fsck,
> >> > we already have another code paths that uses all these changes" out
> >> > of you.
> >> ...
> > So, to summarize: the refactored functionality is both used and tested
> > and I think it's sensible to defer the integration of git-fsck(1) and
> > git-refs(1).
> 
> After refactoring, existing functionality about objects are used, of
> course, (there is no other code that does so), the refactoring lets
> the code to learn to perform checks on references, and these new
> checks are exercised by "git refs verify".
> 
> I took what shejialuo said that way, and that is fine by me when I
> said the above ;-).  So I think we all are on the same page?

Yup, we are. I was mostly aiming to reassure Jialuo, who was a bit
uncertain whether his answers had been sufficient or not.

Thanks!

Patrick