Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 02/14] t: import the clar unit testing framework

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2024 08:38:40 +0200

On Tue, Sep 03, 2024 at 05:47:04AM -0400, Eric Sunshine wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 3, 2024 at 5:15 AM Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:>
> > Our unit testing framework is a homegrown solution. While it supports
> > most of our needs, it is likely that the volume of unit tests will grow
> > quite a bit in the future such that we can exercise low-level subsystems
> > directly. This surfaces several shortcomings that the current solution
> > has:
> >
> >   - There is no way to run only one specific tests. While some of our
> >     unit tests wire this up manually, others don't. In general, it
> >     requires quite a bit of boilerplate to get this set up correctly.
> >
> >   - Failures do not cause a test to stop execution directly. Instead,
> >     the test author needs to return manually whenever an assertion
> >     fails. This is rather verbose and is not done correctly in most of
> >     our unit tests.
> >
> >   - Wiring up a new testcase requires both implementing the test
> >     function and calling it in the respective test suite's main
> >     function, which is creating code duplication.
> >
> > We can of course fix all of these issues ourselves, but that feels
> > rather pointless when there are already so many unit testing frameworks
> > out there that have those features.
> >
> > We line out some requirements for any unit testing framework in
> 
> Perhaps you meant s/line out/outline/ ?
> 
> (Not worth a reroll.)

Hum. Yeah, this is German grammar leaking into English. Anyway, TIL what
"to line out" means :) Thanks!

Patrick