Subject: Re: git-scm.com is now a static website

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2024 18:19:16 -0400

On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 12:07:05AM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> almost 400 weeks after Matt Burke started the process with
> https://github.com/spraints/git-scm.com/commit/60af4ed3bc60 of migrating
> Git's home page away from being a Rails app to being a static website that
> is hosted on GitHub pages instead, today marks the day when Git's home
> page at https://git-scm.com/ has finally moved. Or actually: yesterday
> (because I took so long writing this email that I ended up sending it
> after midnight).
>
> This was truly a team effort, and I would like to celebrate everyone who
> contributed:

I'm really excited to see this change (or really, lack of change,
because the conversion was so seamless and faithful to the original
design).

Thank you for sticking with this for all these years and seeing it
through to the finish line. Congratulations to yourself and those below
for all of the hard work that went into this!

> - Taylor Blau and Jeff King for endorsing the work enthusiastically and
>   suggesting to switch over already at the end of the Git Contributor
>   Summit that took place at GitMerge '24.
>
> - Taylor Blau for assisting in the switch, taking care of the DNS
>   adjustments, and in particular for taking care of the rollback when the
>   first attempt at switching failed (due to caching issues) allowing me to
>   catch my train.

I just clicked a few buttons ;-).

As an aside, I am really glad to be able to spin down our Heroku account
and for the opportunity to save the project some money. We're spending
about ~$60/mo USD on Heroku, and I'm glad to be able to put that money
to other uses that will benefit the project.

I haven't yet spun down the dynos on Heroku, on the off-chance that we
need to quickly get back to the non-static version of the site. But the
rollout has gone so smoothly that I doubt doing so will be necessary. In
a couple of days I'll go ahead and spin them down, assuming nothing has
changed.

> You will note that the site looks pretty similar to the version before,
> and this is of course intentional.
>
> There are subtle differences, though. For example, the site search is now
> language-dependent. Searching for "commit" when on a Spanish version of a
> manual page will find only matching Spanish pages:
>
> https://git-scm.com/search/results?search=commit&language=es

Sounds like an improvement to me ;-). Thanks again for all of your hard
work, Johannes.

Thanks,
Taylor