Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH] unit-tests: add tests for oidset.h

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2024 09:02:36 +0200

On Fri, Sep 27, 2024 at 11:47:40AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Christian Couder <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 8:28 PM Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> >> I'll discard this one by the end of this week unless the topic sees
> >> any activity.  It looks to me that the project decided that a longer
> >> term direction to adopt "clar" as the unit-tests framework, so this
> >> patch would need to be written even if it were perfect in the old
> >> world order anyway.
> >
> > Yeah, unless Ghanshyam or someone else wants to continue working on
> > it, I think finishing this work should be part of the "Convert unit
> > tests to use the clar testing framework" Outreachy project that
> > Patrick and Phillip agreed to co-mentor. This project will only start
> > next December though (supposing a good Outreachy intern is selected),
> > so it's fine to discard it in the meantime.
> 
> And of course it does not have to wait until December.
> 
> If anybody wants to work on adding a unit test for oidset, they can
> do so immediately.  A new unit-test, including the oidset one,
> should be written using clar framework.

I'm also happy to help anybody who wants write such a new unit test
suite.

Let me use this to give a quick status update regarding my upstream
quest to address the feedback I got during reviews on the clar itself:

  - There is a .editorconfig file now.

  - All the cross-platform compatibility fixes have been merged.

  - We have Win32 wired up in CI. Doing so via Makefiles was too much of
    a hassle, so I converted the project to use CMake for easier cross
    platform testability. The fact that the project uses CMake does not
    impact us though, as we wire it up ourselves anyway.

  - All memory allocation errors are now handled consistently.

Currently in review is:

  - Self-tests for the clar, where we use clar to assert that clar
    works.

  - A small memory leak fix, as well as wiring up leak sanitizers in CI.

I've also got a patch series sitting locally that introduces type-safe
wrappers for the assertions that I'll move into review once self-tests
have landed. That would then address the last bit of feedback I got, if
I remember correctly.

Just to let you folks know that I didn't just do nothing after this has
landed in Git.

Patrick