Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/10] http: fix build error on FreeBSD

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2024 13:44:18 +0200

On Mon, Oct 14, 2024 at 06:14:04PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2024 at 02:21:39PM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > The `result` parameter passed to `http_request_reauth()` may either
> > point to a `struct strbuf` or a `FILE *`, where the `target` parameter
> > tells us which of either it actually is. To accommodate for both types
> > the pointer is a `void *`, which we then pass directly to functions
> > without doing a cast.
> >
> > This is fine on most platforms, but it breaks on FreeBSD because
> > `fileno()` is implemented as a macro that tries to directly access the
> > `FILE *` structure.
> 
> Hah. I'm sure this was another fun debugging story ;-). Reading this
> made me chuckle aloud, but the fix you wrote here makes perfect sense to
> me.

I'm sure I've either got less hair or grown more gray hair over the last
couple weeks due to all of these weird compatibility issues. Kind of
puzzling that either nobody else has hit those issues, or alternatively
that nobody seems to care. *shrug*

Patrick