Subject: Re: the latter half of october, the maintainer goes offline

From: shejialuo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2024 00:31:45 +0800

On Fri, Oct 04, 2024 at 05:22:27PM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:

[snip]

> There are two maintainership models I can think of: either a single
> individual or a group of people would take over.
> 
>   - A single individual needs funding. The ideal situation would be if
>     that funding came independent of any of the large forges. Or
>     alternatively, the big players in this context come together to all
>     pay into the same pot to fund that person. In theory, the role could
>     be elected and serve for a limited amount of time so that overall,
>     the community is in control.

Well, I think we cannot easily fund a single individual. It it is a
full-time job, we have to also pay for the insurances. I don't know
how to hire an individual in an open source project. But intuitively I
think there would be a lot of trouble here due to the laws. As far as I
know, Junio is working at Google.

So, the biggest problem here is that most of us either work at other
companies for full-time job which are not unrelated to Git or work at
companies which are related to Git(upstream). Although it is an honor to
be hired by an open source project, there are still many concerns for an
individual.

>   - A group of individuals could take over, sharing the responsibility.
>     There would be a ton of different questions in this context: how to
>     form the group, how to balance its interests, how to distribute the
>     work across its members, how to resolve disputes, etc.

>From my perspective, we already did this. Junio will rely on the reviews
from other contributors. This is what I got from the Git Contributor's
Summit, 2024: [TOPIC 10/11] Project Tracking.

  https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

> So... that's just me dumping a bunch of thoughts. I'd be quite curious
> to learn about everyone else's thoughts.
> 

Like Patrick, I just give some my thoughts here. Because I am a newcomer
in the community. I may lose some context. So, there may be some
incorrect expressions.

Thanks,
Jialuo