Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 3/9] ref: port git-fsck(1) regular refs check for files backend

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2024 08:58:34 +0200

On Sun, Sep 29, 2024 at 03:15:46PM +0800, shejialuo wrote:
> "git-fsck(1)" has some consistency checks for regular refs. As we want
> to align the checks "git refs verify" performs with them (and eventually
> call the unified code that checks refs from both), port the logic
> "git-fsck" has to "git refs verify".

What's missing here is the actual intent of this commit, namely why we
want to align the checks. I assume that this prepares us for calling
`git refs verify` as part of git-fsck(1), but readers not familiar with
the larger picture may be left wondering.

> "git-fsck(1)" will report an error when the ref content is invalid.
> Following this, add a similar check to "git refs verify". Then add a new
> fsck error message "badRefContent(ERROR)" to represent that a ref has an
> invalid content.

It would help readers to know where the code is that you're porting over
to `git refs verify` so that one can double check that the port is done
faithfully to the original.

Patrick