Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] git-config.1: remove value from positional args in unset usage

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 14:37:34 +0200

On Mon, Oct 07, 2024 at 10:07:49PM -0600, Josh Heinrichs wrote:
> A single positional argument appears to be enforcecd at
> builtin/config.c:993. Values need to be provided via --value.

Good catch!

Two comments regarding the commit message:

  - You are missing the Signed-off-by tag.

  - Our commit messages are typically structured such that they first
    give an observation of the issue and why it is an issue, followed by
    a proposed solution and imperative instructions for the code to
    become so.

So something like the following:

  The synopsis for the `git config unset` command mentions two
  positional arguments `<name>` and `<value>`. While the first
  positional argument is indeed correct, the second one is not. Instead,
  users are expected to pass in the value via the `--value=<value>`
  option.

  Remove the positional argument. The `--value=<value>` option is
  already documented correctly, so this is all we need to do to fix up
  the documentation.

Other than that the change looks good to me, thanks!

Patrick