Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 00/21] Modernize the build system

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2024 16:23:46 +0200

On Tue, Oct 08, 2024 at 03:11:35PM +0100, Phillip Wood wrote:
> Hi Patrick
> 
> On 02/10/2024 16:15, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > 
> >    - Patches 2 to 9 fix various different bugs I have found while working
> >      on many different platforms. They can likely go into the tree
> >      separately, and I'm happy to split these out into a separate patch
> >      series if we want to.
> 
> These all look like useful improvements in their own right, splitting them
> out would make sense to me.

For now I'll reorder them such that they are all up front. Like that it
should be easy enough to just merge the first X commits while keeping
the overall series together. The reviewers don't have to go through all
commits.

If that's creating problems though I'll split this out into a standalone
series.

> >    - Patches 10 to 20 refactor parts of our preexisting build systems and
> >      testing infrastructure to provide better support for out-of-tree
> >      builds. While we already have CMake build instructions in our tree,
> >      they do not currently have "proper" out-of-tree builds as they still
> >      end up writing data into the source directory. So while these
> >      patches are written with Meson in mind, they should also help CMake.
> >      As a result of these patches, Meson builds and test runs are fully
> >      self-contained.
> 
> Patches 14-16 and 18 look useful in their own right even if we don't adopt
> Meson. The others all look sensible in the context of supporting multiple
> build systems and might be worth doing anyway especially if they simplify
> the existing CMakeLists.txt.
> 
> I've skipped patches 1 and 21 for now, I'll have a look at those later in
> the week.

I'll also send an updated version soonish that includes support for
MSVC, likely tomorrow. So you may want to hold off reviewing them for
now.

Thanks for your review!

Patrick