Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v2 00/24] Modernize our build system

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2024 07:49:59 +0200

On Thu, Oct 10, 2024 at 07:28:39AM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2024 at 10:26:42PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 
> > >   - Patches 12 to 22 refactor parts of our build system to make proper
> > >     out-of-tree builds a reality.
> > 
> > Oooooh.
> 
> I hope I didn't get you too exited: not wired up in Makefiles! I was
> being a bit unclear here, it basically lands all the pieces required to
> make that happen, but the bits only get properly wired up by Meson.
> There is no reasony why we cannot have it in our Makefile, too, though.

To expand on this a bit: I was wondering whether I should do that
though, as it would make it was easier to split up this whole patch
series into multiple parts that all provide a benefit on their own:

  - Part 1: the platform-specific fixes.

  - Part 2: prepare us for proper (optional) out-of-tree builds, making
    things work with our Makefile. A lot of the parts are a prerequisite
    for Meson anyway.

  - Part 3: the modern build system.

So if people think that this is worth it I'd be happy to do it this way.

Patrick