Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/2] shortlog: Test reading a log from a SHA256 repo in a non-git directory

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2024 15:25:28 -0400

On Wed, Oct 16, 2024 at 08:21:24PM +0200, Wolfgang Müller wrote:
> git-shortlog(1) might be used outside of a git repository to process a
> log obtained from a repository initialized with --object-format=sha256.
> Since git-shortlog(1) has no information on the hash algorithm, make
> sure that it can still successfully process the log regardless.
>
> Signed-off-by: Wolfgang Müller <[email-masked]>
> Thanks-to: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>

Same note here about ordering Signed-off-by: and Thanks-to: lines as in
the previous patch.

> @@ -147,6 +147,14 @@ fuzz()
>  	echo | nongit git shortlog --author=author
>  '
>
> +test_expect_success 'shortlog from non-git directory reads log from SHA256 repository' '
> +	test_when_finished "rm -rf repo" &&
> +	git init --object-format=sha256 repo &&

I wondered why we needed a separate repo for this test, but I understand
now that we need to have a SHA-256 repository to test this on.

I'm still dubious as to the value of this test overall, but I think it
may be nice to s/repo/sha256-repo/ or something here to indicate its
purpose more clearly in the test itself.

I don't feel strongly about it, though.

Thanks,
Taylor