Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 02/10] t/test-lib: wire up NO_ICONV prerequisite

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2024 16:59:26 -0400

On Wed, Oct 16, 2024 at 05:57:10AM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 15, 2024 at 07:53:12PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 15, 2024 at 01:45:11PM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > > Further note that there are several "!MINGW" conditions in t4201, and
> > > all of these fail due to iconv-related errors. This is quite likely a
> > > leftover from times before dce7d29551 (msvc: support building Git using
> > > MS Visual C++, 2019-06-25), which switched Windows-based builds over
> > > from "NO_ICONV=YesPlease" to "NEEDS_LIBICONV=YesPlease". Consequently,
> > > adapt those tests to also use the new ICONV prerequisite.
> >
> > This appears to break CI on Windows when I merged this into 'jch':
> >
> >     https://github.com/ttaylorr/git/actions/runs/11355564982/job/31585450667
> >
> > I'm going to temporarily eject this from 'jch' and 'seen' until we can
> > properly deal with this.
>
> Ugh, I'm looking forward to the Windows jobs for GitLab CI being merged
> down to next so that I can finally see such regressions before they hit
> our trees. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, will have a look.

It's OK. Ejecting a topic out of 'seen' is relatively easy as it
requires the following (after removing the line out of Meta/redo-seen.sh):

    git checkout -B seen jch
    sh Meta/redo-seen.sh

I was mostly confused why my build of 'seen' passed 'make test' locally,
but failed CI when pushed to GitHub. Of course, I'm not testing on a
Windows machine, and you didn't have easy access to Windows CI runs on
GitLab (for now), so the result makes sense.

Thanks again for working on it.

Thanks,
Taylor