Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v4 00/19] Modernize the build system

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2024 11:48:04 +0100

On Tue, Nov 12, 2024 at 02:07:25PM +0900, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > [1] I think my gut feeling is that these are questions that Patrick
> >     should be answering if he wants to sell the project on moving away
> >     from make. I know we can't expect to be spoon-fed all parts of a
> >     transition, but I am starting from the point of view of: I am
> >     perfectly happy with make, why do you want me to switch?
> 
> Yeah, that is a very fair thing to say.
> 
> Even if you personally (or I for that matter) were not 100% happy
> with make, it is important for somebody who has sufficiently gained
> respect in the project to play devil's advocate to say it, and I am
> glad you did. 

Yup, I agree with you a 100%.

I was first focussing on getting everything set up and then get some
early signals as to whether this is a direction that we can go into in
the first place, and because of that I didn't yet provide any docs. But
based on your feedback I guess I should focus on exactly that as my next
step. So I'll include docs in the next reroll that demonstrate everyday
workflows in Git and how to do these with Meson.

Thanks!

Patrick