Subject: Re: [PATCH v3] date: detect underflow/overflow when parsing dates with timezone offset

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2024 14:31:06 +0100

Hi Karthik

On 12/06/2024 10:49, Karthik Nayak wrote:
> "darcy via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]> writes:
>> +
>> +/* timestamp of 2099-12-31T23:59:59Z, including 32 leap days */
>> +static const time_t timestamp_max = ((2100L - 1970) * 365 + 32) * 24 * 60 * 60 - 1;
>>
> 
> Nit: but since we're calculating the number of years here (2100L -
> 1970), shouldn't we also be calculating the number of leap days instead
> of hardcoding it?

I'm happy with a hard coded constant for the number of leap days - I 
think it is probably easier to check that (which I have done) than it 
would be to check the calculation as I'm not sure off the top of my head 
if is it safe to do (2100-1970)/4 or whether we need something more 
complicated.

Best Wishes

Phillip