Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] add-interactive: add new "context" subcommand

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2025 14:30:42 +0100

On 06/05/2025 17:37, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> 
> An alternative that may work better is to allow subcommand specific
> parameters in the answer to the "What now>" prompt, e.g.
> 
> 	What now> r -U7
> 
> to choose an equivalent to "git revert -p -U7".

I think the best solution would be to allow users to re-display the 
current hunk with more context inside "add -p" rather than changing "add 
-i". That way a user who needs more context to make a decision on the 
current hunk can get it without restarting the whole process of 
selecting hunks [1]. If the user knows up front that they want a certain 
amount of context they can use "git add -p -U <context>" or "git add -i 
-U <context>" which was added in the preceding patch.

Best Wishes

Phillip

[1] With "git add -p" they can quit and carry on from where they left 
off but "git stash -p" doesn't let you amend an existing stash and git 
refuses to pop a stash if the working tree is dirty. This means if a 
stash is split in two because the user exited to change the context they 
cannot pop both stashes on top of each other.