Subject: Re: [PATCH] ci(*-leaks): skip the git-svn tests to save time

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2026 14:47:11 +0000

On 20/01/2026 15:42, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> The patch looks good to me, it is very convenient that we can put the
>> test in the library files rather than each test file. Should we drop
>> these tests from the ASan job as well?
> 
> That's probably a good idea.
> 
> I also was wondering if we want a blanket NO_FOO_TESTS that we can
> use instead listing all.  That FOO should not be SCM, though, as the
> reason why we exclude the tests is not because they are test about
> foreign SCM.  We exclude them as low value because testing them
> exercises little code of ours that we may make mistakes these checks
> are trying to uncover and that we can fix when they do.
> NO_FOREIGN_CODE_TESTS?  I dunno.

Having a single Makefile knob is tempting, the naming as tricky though. 
We're skipping these tests because they're scripted and we already have 
leak coverage for the git commands that they call, the fact that they're 
calling foreign programs is incidental to that. If "git svn" was 
implemented in C then we probably would want to check it for leaks even 
though it called a foreign program. That's a long winded way of saying I 
don't have any better suggestions!

Thanks

Phillip