Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/8] push tests: add more testing for forced tag pushing

From: Kaartic Sivaraam <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 15:39:38 +0530

Hi,

On Monday 30 April 2018 01:50 AM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> diff --git a/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh b/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh
> index 15c8d5a734..c9a2011915 100755
> --- a/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh
> +++ b/t/t5516-fetch-push.sh
> @@ -981,7 +981,17 @@ test_expect_success 'push requires --force to update lightweight tag' '

I think the test description has become misleading now that it's testing
for 'force pushing' in general and not just the '--force' option. So, a
better description is needed. Probably, "force pushing required to
update lightweight tag".

>  		git push --force ../child2 Tag &&
>  		git tag -f Tag HEAD~ &&
>  		test_must_fail git push ../child2 Tag &&
> -		git push --force ../child2 Tag
> +		git push --force ../child2 Tag &&
> +		git tag -f Tag &&
> +		test_must_fail git push ../child2 "refs/tags/*:refs/tags/*" &&
> +		git push --force ../child2 "refs/tags/*:refs/tags/*" &&
> +		git tag -f Tag HEAD~ &&
> +		git push ../child2 "+refs/tags/*:refs/tags/*" &&

> +		git tag -f Tag &&
> +		git push --no-force ../child2 "+refs/tags/*:refs/tags/*" &&

This test shouldn't hiding within the tests about force pushing. It
seems to warrant a separate test case to clearly note the behavior that
the "+" in refspec overrides "--no-force". This would help in easily
identifying if this particular behavior is broken or not.

-- 
Sivaraam

QUOTE:

“The most valuable person on any team is the person who makes everyone
else on the team more valuable, not the person who knows the most.”

      - Joel Spolsky

Sivaraam?

You possibly might have noticed that my signature recently changed from
'Kaartic' to 'Sivaraam' both of which are parts of my name. I find the
new signature to be better for several reasons one of which is that the
former signature has a lot of ambiguities in the place I live as it is a
common name (NOTE: it's not a common spelling, just a common name). So,
I switched signatures before it's too late.

That said, I won't mind you calling me 'Kaartic' if you like it [of
course ;-)]. You can always call me using either of the names.

KIND NOTE TO THE NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKER:

As I'm not a native English speaker myself, there might be mistaeks in
my usage of English. I apologise for any mistakes that I make.

It would be "helpful" if you take the time to point out the mistakes.

It would be "super helpful" if you could provide suggestions about how
to correct those mistakes.

Thanks in advance!