Subject: Re: [GSoC PATCH] promisor-remote: fix promisor.quiet to use the correct repository

From: Tian Yuchen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2026 12:34:47 +0800

On 4/9/26 02:23, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> FWIW, I didn't see it fail in my local environment (both in 'seen'
> and also standalone) or at GitHub CI (in 'seen'), so it is a bit
> hasty to conclude that the patch was sent without proper testing.

You’re right, I was a bit hasty.

> I wonder what is different in _your_ environment (note, I am not
> saying your environment is _wrong_.  It is just different, perhaps
> the compiler I use and your build environment may align things
> differently, or perhaps on-stack "uninitialied" pieces of memory
> happen to have different values that the code is reading that causes
> different behaviours---in which case it is the code that is wrong.
> Asking for environment differences is the first step to figure out
> what incorrect environment dependencies the code has).   
>

---

git version 2.43.0
cpu: x86_64
no commit associated with this build
sizeof-long: 8
sizeof-size_t: 8

Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/13/lto-wrapper
OFFLOAD_TARGET_NAMES=nvptx-none:amdgcn-amdhsa
OFFLOAD_TARGET_DEFAULT=1
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 
13.3.0-6ubuntu2~24.04.1' 
--with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-13/README.Bugs 
--enable-languages=c,ada,c++,go,d,fortran,objc,obj-c++,m2 --prefix=/usr 
--with-gcc-major-version-only --program-suffix=-13 
--program-prefix=x86_64-linux-gnu- --enable-shared 
--enable-linker-build-id --libexecdir=/usr/libexec 
--without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --libdir=/usr/lib 
--enable-nls --enable-bootstrap --enable-clocale=gnu 
--enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-libstdcxx-time=yes 
--with-default-libstdcxx-abi=new --enable-libstdcxx-backtrace 
--enable-gnu-unique-object --disable-vtable-verify --enable-plugin 
--enable-default-pie --with-system-zlib 
--enable-libphobos-checking=release --with-target-system-zlib=auto 
--enable-objc-gc=auto --enable-multiarch --disable-werror --enable-cet 
--with-arch-32=i686 --with-abi=m64 --with-multilib-list=m32,m64,mx32 
--enable-multilib --with-tune=generic 
--enable-offload-targets=nvptx-none=/build/gcc-13-EldibY/gcc-13-13.3.0/debian/tmp-nvptx/usr,amdgcn-amdhsa=/build/gcc-13-EldibY/gcc-13-13.3.0/debian/tmp-gcn/usr 
--enable-offload-defaulted --without-cuda-driver 
--enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu 
--host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu 
--with-build-config=bootstrap-lto-lean --enable-link-serialization=2
Thread model: posix
Supported LTO compression algorithms: zlib zstd
gcc version 13.3.0 (Ubuntu 13.3.0-6ubuntu2~24.04.1)

Linux malon-Yoga-14sARE-2020 6.14.0-37-generic #37~24.04.1-Ubuntu SMP 
PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Nov 20 10:25:38 UTC 2 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

---

By the way, I find this bit of code rather confusing to me:

> +	GIT_TRACE2_EVENT="$(pwd)/pc-quiet-trace" \
> +		git -C super-work grep --cached --recurse-submodules "world" \
> +		2>/dev/null &&
> +	grep negotiationAlgorithm pc-quiet-trace | grep -e --quiet

Is this grep pattern correct?

Thanks, Yuchen