Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/1] fetch: add fetch.writeCommitGraph config setting

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2019 13:00:40 -0400

On 9/5/2019 4:37 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Do we want to to have fetch.writeCommitGraph, receive.writeCommitGraph,
>> and then a master transfer.writeCommitGraph?
> 
> If anything, it may be good for consistency.
> 
> I am not sure if it is a good idea to trigger writing the commit
> graph when accepting a push, though.  It tends to be a lot finer
> grained than fetching, right?

And I expect a push to include many fewer commits than a fetch.
In a server environment, I would expect to have a separate
maintenance task responsible for updating the commit-graph after
receiving new data, but not in an in-line fashion with the push.

Think about the situation of many pushes that happen in a short
burst: one write after all of the pushes would have close to the
same performance benefits as writing with every push, but does
a lot less work.

Thanks,
-Stolee