Subject: Re: commit-graph overflow generation chicken and egg

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 11:39:49 -0400

On 6/9/2022 11:26 AM, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2022 at 09:49:15AM +0200, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> 
>> It's certainly interesting to see *how* we got to this state, but just
>> so we're on the same page: I fundimentally don't think it matters to the
>> *real* bug here.
>>
>> Which is that at the very least f90fca638e9 (commit-graph: consolidate
>> fill_commit_graph_info, 2021-01-16) and e8b63005c48 (commit-graph:
>> implement generation data chunk, 2021-01-16) (CC'd author) have a bad
>> regression on earlier fixes that read-only operations of the
>> commit-graph *must not die*. I.e. the "parse" and "verify" paths of the
>> commit-graph.c code shouldn't call exit(), die() etc.
> 
> Yeah, I'd agree that this is a good philosophy to follow. The
> commit-graph data is meant to be an optimization, and we can always
> continue without it.

I agree that the die() is part of what is frustrating here, but we need
to be careful: when we recognize that the commit-graph data is erroneous
_at this stage_ we may have already made decisions based on the existence
of a commit-graph (such as "we should trust generation numbers" or "we
have parsed some of the commits using the commit-graph") and so we cannot
guarantee that the process will complete with correct results from this
point.
 
>> If you replace your graph with Jeff's corrupt one and run "git status",
>> "git log" etc. it's still emitting one verbose complaint, but it no
>> longer does so in loops (at least for these paths, but e.g. "git gc" is
>> still doing that).
>>
>> But it does get us to where we can run "git gc", and while complaining
>> too much along the way will write out a new & valid commit graph at the
>> end ("[... comments are mine"):
> 
> Yeah, getting through "git gc" is the key thing here. Then the problem
> solves itself, sometimes even automatically (via auto-gc).

Perhaps we could change the die() behavior to be a warning() plus a
reset of all commit data if we are in a mode that can handle that error.
Specifically, during a commit-graph write.

I think the current die() behavior is the safest thing to do right now
until someone has time to think through these scenarios carefully.

Thanks,
-Stolee