Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] docs: document core.hooksPath=/dev/null

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2025 00:39:42 +0000

On 2025-04-17 at 00:25:28, Derrick Stolee wrote:
> On 4/16/2025 12:53 PM, Lucas Seiki Oshiro wrote:
> > Hi!
> > 
> >> +You can also disable all hooks entirely by setting `core.hooksPath`
> >> +to `/dev/null`.
> > 
> > Personally I think it would be better to focus on the non-expert user,
> 
> I absolutely want this to be targeted for expert users, so users self-
> select themselves into the risk of what happens when disabling hooks.
> This is a "there be dragons here" kind of warning, implying that you
> better know what you're doing if you are messing with hook paths.

Yes, I think that's the right choice.  As we've established elsewhere,
it's easy to break things or cause data loss (e.g., by not pushing Git
LFS objects) by disabling hooks and the user should be confident of what
they're doing before doing so.

That being said, I agree that in the general case we should make our
documentation accessible to non-expert users because nobody is born
knowing how to use Git and that will benefit the most people.  This just
happens to be an exception.

I thought the text in the patch looked good to me.  I appreciate you
graciously pivoting approaches and documenting this, both for the
benefit of users and as an approach to help make sure we don't break
this functionality.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA