Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/6] meson: check for getpagesize before using it

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 09:31:29 +0200

On Mon, Apr 21, 2025 at 01:51:46PM -0400, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> It is deprecated and removed in SUS v3 / POSIX 2001, so various systems
> may not include it. Solaris, in particular, carefully refrains from
> defining it except inside of a maze of `#ifdef` to make sure you have
> kept your nose clean and only used it in code that *targets* SUS v2 or
> earlier.
> 
> config.mak.uname defines this automatically, though only for QNX.

Ah, interesting. I mostly went by our autoconf infrastructure when
converting the checks, which didn't have a check for `getpagesize()`
either. We might want to teach autoconf to check for this function while
at it.

In all honesty though, I rather hope that we're soon in a state where we
can just drop autoconf altogether in favor of Meson. The only two
blockers I'm aware of are wiring up git-gui and gitk. The former project
has already been adapted upstream, the latter is still in review. But
once those have landed, we should be ready to mark Meson as stable and
then we can start deprecating autoconf unless there are good reasons not
to do so.

Patrick