Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] contrib/buildsystems: drop support for building .vcproj/.vcxproj files

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2025 15:24:57 +0200

On Mon, May 05, 2025 at 07:39:49AM +0000, Johannes Schindelin via GitGitGadget wrote:
> From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
> 
> Before we had CMake support, the only way to build Git in Visual Studio
> was via this hacky `generate` script.
> 
> For a while I tried to fix whenever things got broken, in particular to
> allow building confidence in embargoed releases by running the CI builds
> in Azure Pipelines in a private Azure DevOps project. I even carried the
> patches in Git for Windows with the intention of upstreaming them,
> eventually.
> 
> However, it is a lot of work with too little benefit. CMake is much
> better supported by Visual Studio. So let's drop this hacky script (plus
> support code).

Makes sense. This made me wonder whether we also want to get rid of
"contrib/vscode", which is similar in spirit. Both Meson and CMake can
be used natively with VSCode.

Thanks for working on these cleanups!

Patrick