Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 2/3] packed-backend: extract snapshot allocation in `load_contents`

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2025 16:41:12 +0200

On Mon, May 12, 2025 at 06:35:05PM +0800, shejialuo wrote:
> On Mon, May 12, 2025 at 10:37:03AM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > On Sun, May 11, 2025 at 10:01:50PM +0800, shejialuo wrote:
> > > "load_contents" would choose which way to load the content of the
> > > "packed-refs". However, we cannot directly use this function when
> > > checking the consistency due to we don't want to open the file. And we
> > > also need to reuse the logic to avoid causing repetition.
> > > 
> > > Let's create a new helper function "allocate_snapshot_buffer" to extract
> > > the snapshot allocation logic in "load_contents" and update the
> > > "load_contents" to align with the behavior.
> > > 
> > > Suggested-by: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
> > > Suggested-by: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > Huh. Are you sure I suggested this? :) I cannot remember at least.
> > 
> 
> Because you explain me a lot how Gitlab handles and Peff tells me how
> Github handles, I add both of you.

I think that would've made sense for the last step where you introduce
the adapted logic. But the intermediate steps have all been designed by
yourself without my help :)

Anyway, I don't mind this, I just found it to be funny.

Patrick