Subject: Re: [PATCH] commit: Add commit.signoff configuration option

From: Chris Down <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2025 16:04:25 +0100

Junio C Hamano writes:
>Regarding other problems, the fact that we are having this
>discussion is indication enough, isn't it?  If it didn't exist, we
>wouldn't have had folks who used it as an excuse to promote
>commit.signoff in the first place.

I definitely understand your concern about diluting the meaning of signoffs.  
What separates this patch is that it's not suggesting a config option out of 
feature parity, but because enabling commit.signoff is itself a deliberate, 
repository specific certification, which is arguably more meaningful than 
habitually typing -s for each commit or using a global shell alias.

The repository specificity is particularly important here. Currently users work 
around this with shell aliases, which are global rather than scoped to a 
repository, making commit.signoff in practice a more precise mechanism for 
expressing their intent about what to certify.

Would strengthening the documentation to emphasise that setting commit.signoff 
is a deliberate, repository-specific certification address your concern about 
diluting the meaning of signoffs?