Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 07/10] t7815: fix unexpectedly passing test on macOS

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2025 08:19:56 +0200

On Sun, Jun 01, 2025 at 11:19:21AM +0200, Kristoffer Haugsbakk wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2025, at 15:31, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > It is unclear how long the test has been passing on macOS already.
> > 064eed36c7f (config.mak.uname: only set NO_REGEX on cygwin for v1.7,
> > 2025-04-17) mentions that the test started to pass for Cygwin once it
> > has imported a newer implementation of
> 
> “started to pass” followed by “has imported” doesn’t sound right.

Hm, why exactly is that? To me it reads perfectly fine, which might be
caused by me not being a native speaker. Anyway, reworded this to the
following:

    It is unclear how long the test has been passing on macOS already.
    064eed36c7f (config.mak.uname: only set NO_REGEX on cygwin for v1.7,
    2025-04-17) mentions that the test started to pass for Cygwin. This was
    attributed to a new implementation of regcomp(3p) and friends, which was
    inherited from FreeBSD. Given the BSD lineage of macOS it is feasible
    that it also inherited similar code eventually that made the test pass
    now.

Hope that works better. Thanks!

Patrick