Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: sparse-checkout: Fix list markers

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2025 09:14:24 +0200

On Mon, Apr 21, 2025 at 12:41:40PM +0000, oneee via GitGitGadget wrote:
> From: onee-only <[email-masked]>
> 
> Changed the list markers from a mix of "(1)" and "(b)" to a
> consistent numeric format "(1)", "(2)" for clarity and consistency.

In Git we use imperative style for commit messages, as if requesting the
code to change. So something like this for example:

  We use a mix of "(1)" and "(b)" to refer to different cases when
  explaining sparsity patterns. Adapt these markers to use the numeric
  format for both clarity and consistency.

> Signed-off-by: onee-only <[email-masked]>

We typically prefer your full name instead of using nicknames here. So
if you want to provide your full name, please do so.

> diff --git a/Documentation/technical/sparse-checkout.adoc b/Documentation/technical/sparse-checkout.adoc
> index dc2e763bbec..8202172b70b 100644
> --- a/Documentation/technical/sparse-checkout.adoc
> +++ b/Documentation/technical/sparse-checkout.adoc
> @@ -66,7 +66,7 @@ sparsity patterns: patterns from $GIT_DIR/info/sparse-checkout used to
>  	reasons: (1) users in cone mode specify directories rather than
>  	patterns (their directories are transformed into patterns, but
>  	users may think you are talking about non-cone mode if you use the
> -	word "patterns"), and (b) the sparse specification might
> +	word "patterns"), and (2) the sparse specification might
>  	transiently differ in the working tree or index from the sparsity
>  	patterns (see "Sparse specification vs. sparsity patterns").

The change itself looks like an obvious improvement to me, thanks!

Patrick