Subject: Re: Re [bug] pull --prune could not delete references due to lock file already exists error

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2025 10:50:58 +0200

On Tue, Jul 01, 2025 at 09:14:19AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I bet there's also tons of scripts out there that just reach into the
> > filesystem to do stuff, but that's something that we cannot really help
> > with.
> 
> I thought you've done enough to make sure that common things people
> would want to do by direct access to the .git/refs/ hierarchy can be
> easily done with plumbing commands instead, so it would probably be
> a matter of writing and publicizing the "how to migrate to the world
> where you cannot write into files under .git/refs/ directory"
> document?

Yeah, all the tools are there. I'm not even sure whether such a guide
would be required in the first place -- tools are just what you are used
to already anyway. So I don't know whether I really need to explain how
to use git-update-ref(1) and friends.

I am of course biased here, so if disagree and think that this would be
required I might just do it.

Anyway, I'll hack something up and send it to the mailing list soonish
to get the discussion going.

Patrick