Subject: Re: Bug: build is broken on FreeBSD if libsysinfo is installed

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2025 10:40:24 +0200

On Wed, Jul 02, 2025 at 11:33:23PM +0100, Ramsay Jones wrote:
> On 02/07/2025 12:28, Renato Botelho wrote:
> > On 01/07/25 17:03, Ramsay Jones wrote:
> [snip]
> > BTW, should I start moving the port to meson?  Is it the default build method now?
> 
> The git project only provides source code (i.e. the project does not
> produce any binary distribution packages). So, each 'distributor' can
> use whatever tools they prefer to create their packages.
> 
> [A long time ago, we had some support for producing Red Hat and Debian
> packages (if my memory serves me correctly), but that didn't last long!]
> 
> If such a thing as a 'default build method' exists, then I would say that
> the Makefile (without configure) is it! (Meson is the *latest* build system
> used in the project, not the default).

Right now Meson is still considered experimental, as there are still
some things missing compared to our Makefiles. I will address those
missing pieces this release cycle, and once done our Makefile and Meson
build instructions will both be considered officially supported ways to
build Git.

> >  Is there a plan to remove autotools?
> 
> At present there are no such plans.

There are no plans to remove our Makefile right now, but there is intent
to remove autotools once Meson reaches feature parity with our Makefile.
It will probably still be a couple releases before that happens, and we
of course still have to make the final decision to actually go through
with the removal. But it likely is to happen in the not-too-distant
future.

Patrick