Subject: Re: [PATCH 4/8] midx: track whether we have loaded the MIDX

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2025 19:26:16 -0400

On Thu, Jul 10, 2025 at 05:16:12PM -0500, Justin Tobler wrote:
> Looking at `prepare_packed_git()`, it checks
> `r->objects->packed_git_initialized` to see if it has already been
> initialized. If the intent is to start calling `get_multi_pack_index()`
> for each source individually, doesn't `prepare_packed_git()` still only
> execute once regardless already?

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps that packed_git_initialized
field is going away sometime in the future and this is its logical
replacement (at least for MIDXs)?

In either case, that would be worth clarifying. If it's not doing
anything (i.e., because we have no plans to get rid of
packed_git_initialized), then I agree that this patch could probably be
dropped, but I suspect that I don't have the full picture in my head yet.

> > Address this issue by introducing a new variable that tracks whether we
> > have tried to load multi-pack index of a given source.
>
> The contents of the patch look good, but I'm not entirely sure
> introducing a separate variable to track if the source has attempted to
> load a MIDX is useful.

Yup.

> -Justin

Thanks,
Taylor