Subject: Re: [-SPAM-] What's cooking in git.git (Jul 2025, #03; Wed, 9)

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2025 10:49:00 +0200

On Thu, Jul 10, 2025 at 10:44:07PM +0100, Ramsay Jones wrote:
> On 10/07/2025 22:12, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]> writes:
> > 
> >>
> >> How would you like to proceed? (yes, I haven't written the commit message
> >> yet).
> > 
> > ... appears near the end of the message, and the way _I_ would like
> > to proceed is to make sure two parties involved in overlapping
> > solutions to the same problem talk to each other and come up with a
> > solution together.  The first step to get you going would be to CC
> > the other parties involved.
> 
> Oops, I had intended to cc Patrick! :(
> 
> > If the controversial step in Patrick's 8-patch series is relatively
> > independent from others (which was the impression I got from "more
> > or less random cleanups and improvements"), one approach with less
> > friction is to simply omit it and make it 7-patch series.  While you
> > and Patric work out what the best approach to solve the libexecdir
> > problem, the rest of the series can proceed without waiting,
> > hopefully?
> 
> Yep, that would be my preferred route.
> 
> Having said that, Patrick's patch does remove the regression, so we
> could keep them separate if that is preferred. I don't mind either
> way. :)

I'm happy to just drop the patch and let you handle the regression.

There aren't any dependencies between the patches in this series, so
it's as easy as removing the patch. Junio, do you want me to resend the
series with the patch dropped or will you drop the patch on your side? 

Thanks!

Patrick