Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] git-compat-util: convert string predicates to return bool

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2025 21:14:12 +0000

On 2025-07-14 at 17:20:08, Elijah Newren wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2025 at 6:32 AM Phillip Wood <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
> >
> > Since 8277dbe987 (git-compat-util: convert skip_{prefix,suffix}{,_mem}
> > to bool, 2023-12-16) a number of our sting predicates have been
> > returning bool instead of int. Now we've declared that experiment
> 
> Now we've -> Now that we've
> 
> > a success lets convert the return type the case independent
> 
> success lets -> success, let's
> type the -> type of the
> 
> > skip_iprefix() and skip_iprefix_mem() functions to match the return
> > type of their case dependent equivalents. Returning bool instead of
> 
> I wonder if case-independent and case-dependent should be hyphenated,
> or as separate words as you had them.  Anyone know?

I would hyphenate them.  The Chicago Manual of Style, 18th Edition, says
in § 7.91, “When compound modifiers (also called phrasal adjectives)
such as _high-profile_ or _book-length_ precede a noun, hyphenation
usually lends clarity.  With the exception of proper nouns (such as
_United States_) and compounds formed by an adverb ending in _-ly_ plus
an adjective…, it is never incorrect to hyphenate adjectival compounds
before a noun.”

They go on to state that hyphenation is usually omitted _after_ a noun.

I usually follow this rule in my writing and commit messages and I
haven't gotten any complaints or comments about it, for what it's worth.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA