Subject: Re: [GSoC RFC PATCH v4 0/4] repo: add new command for retrieving repository info

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2025 14:20:30 +0200

On Tue, Jul 15, 2025 at 01:58:55PM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
>The `repo` tool wouldn't be executed as `git repo` though, would it? So
>I'm not sure whether that really is relevant at all. On the other hand
>though I do see that it might be confusing when you interact with the
>`repo` tool on a daily basis.
>
i don't think it would be a problem in actual use. i'm more concerned 
about people talking about it. really kinda a trademark thing.

>"Query" is way too generic from my point of view, as it doesn't say
>_what_ you query. "Meta" might be a bit better even though it still
>loses the information that you act on the repository level, which is a
>bit of a shame.
>
by that logic, almost all git commands are too tersely named.
but in practice, a sufficiently suggestive mnemonic is good enough.  
preferably a verb, because it's a command.
the fact that it's now being made into a "multi-tool" also kinda 
preempts future collisions.