Subject: Re: [GSoC RFC PATCH v4 0/4] repo: add new command for retrieving repository info

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2025 12:42:55 +0200

On Thu, Jul 17, 2025 at 12:25:03PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2025 at 09:49:52AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]> writes:
> > > the obvious followup idea would then be "meta", but that suggests
> > > that
> > > it isn't only a read-only command, which i think it is supposed to
> > > remain?
> > 
> > "git repository query"
> > "git repository stat"
> > ...?
> > 
> yes, but one could also add "git repository set" or some such. as such
> symmetry is reasonable to expect, people might be confused by its absence.
> an obviously read-only command like "query" would preclude this.

Well, right now it's exclusively read-only, true. But that doesn't mean
that there will never be a use case for adding a writing subcommand to
it.

Patrick