Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 3/4] commit-graph: export prepare_commit_graph()

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2025 08:42:44 +0200

On Wed, Jul 30, 2025 at 07:55:09PM +0200, Toon Claes wrote:
> Allow users of the commit-graph to explicitly prepare the commit-graph.
> This can be useful when users want to start using bloom keys before
> calling functions like prepare_revision_walk(). We'll use this exported
> function in a subsequent commit.

Hm. Ideally we wouldn't have to expose this low-level function and the
commit-graph subsystem would know to handle this. We typically have
patterns like this in our codebase:

		if (repo_find_commit_pos_in_graph(r, c, &graph_pos))
			load_bloom_filter_from_graph(r->objects->commit_graph,
						     filter, graph_pos);

The call to `repo_find_commit_pos_in_graph()` knows to call
`prepare_commit_graph()`, so no manual call to that function would be
required.

I haven't yet read the next commit though that adds the callsite. So
let's read on.

> diff --git a/commit-graph.h b/commit-graph.h
> index 78ab7b875b..0f76681333 100644
> --- a/commit-graph.h
> +++ b/commit-graph.h
> @@ -131,6 +131,14 @@ struct repo_settings;
>  struct commit_graph *parse_commit_graph(struct repo_settings *s,
>  					void *graph_map, size_t graph_size);
>  
> +/*
> + * Return 1 if commit_graph is non-NULL, and 0 otherwise.
> + *
> + * On the first invocation, this function attempts to load the commit
> + * graph if the_repository is configured to have one.
> + */
> +int prepare_commit_graph(struct repository *r);

Let's fix the reference to `the_repository` while at it.

Patrick