Subject: Re: [PATCH v5 0/6] Introduce git-last-modified(1) command

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2025 09:45:39 +0200

On Wed, Jul 30, 2025 at 07:59:10PM +0200, Toon Claes wrote:
> Toon Claes <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I've had this patch included in version 2[1]. I'd love to include it,
> > but it didn't give the results we were expecting. Over time I became
> > more confortable with these changes. Let me see if I can get more
> > insights about it.
> 
> I've spent a considerable amount of time on this, I didn't get to any
> breakthrough. I just submitted v6[1] again without these patches. I
> still love to figure it out and bring in the improvements, but for the
> first iteration I think we're okay without.
> 
> [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

I guess that's probably fine. The patches would go on top anyway, so I
don't see a reason why we shouldn't land the "trivial" implementation
that just works and then iterate from thereon. It's going to be way
faster than any scripted solution already, so it does provide benefit
even without the additional performance boost.

Patrick