Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] git-gui: workaround deprecation of Tcl/TK 8.5 in macOS

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2025 12:46:18 +0200

On Wed, Jul 30, 2025 at 04:54:12PM -0700, Carlo Arenas wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2025 at 12:09 PM Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Any help would be appreciated on the Meson parts
> 
> The Meson build works when tested outside the git repository, but since the main
> meson.build doesn't yet use that to build/install git-gui there is no
> way to do a full
> test.
> 
> Eitherway, it can't make things worse.

The Meson part looks reasonable to me.

In any case yes, I haven't yet wired up gitk/git-gui in Git itself. It
is trivial to do in theory, and I've already got the patch series
sitting locally for quite a while. But there's one catch: we'll have to
add those as subprojects, and Meson looks for subprojects in the
"subprojects/" directory. Which means that we'd have to move around both
gitk and git-gui directories to be located in "subprojects/". We can
pick the name of that directory, but it must not be the top-level
directory of the project.

I shied away from sending such a patch series for now because I wasn't
quite sure how it'll be received. I don't think it's too bad, but it
certainly is a bit akward.

Patrick