Subject: Re: [GSoC][PATCH v2 0/4] Add refs exists subcommand

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2025 18:58:15 +0200

On Sat, Aug 23, 2025 at 11:30:08AM +0530, Meet Soni wrote:
> This series introduces `git refs exists` as a modern replacement for
> `git show-ref --exists`, continuing the effort to consolidate commands
> under the `git refs` namespace.
> 
> Changes in v2:
>   - v1 was based on the "next" branch as this series required a couple
>     of commits merged in it, but as those commits are now completely
>     merged into the master branch, I've rebased the v2 onto master
>     branch.

Good.

>   - split the test commit to make the setup shareable.

Good, as well.

>     @@ Commit message
>          builtin/refs: add 'exists' subcommand
>      
>          As part of the ongoing effort to consolidate reference handling,
>     -    introduce a new `exists` subcommand. This command provides the same
>     +    introduce `exists` subcommand. This command provides the same
>          functionality and exit-code behavior as `git show-ref --exists`, serving
>          as its modern replacement.

This reads a bit funny now -- I think the previous version was
preferable.

Patrick