Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/6] t0018: switch default branch name to main

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2025 21:31:01 +0000

On 2025-08-28 at 16:49:35, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> One thing that is missing is probably a way to remotely create a
> symref (or repoint one).  As it would break existing users if an
> upstream suddenly switches its 'master' to 'main', the second best
> thing to do is to ensure that they always point at the same commit,
> and the natural way to do so is to
> 
>     $ git symbolic-ref refs/heads/main refs/heads/master
> 
> but we cannot do so remotely.  I've been doing the third best thing
> since late November 2021, which is to push to both at the same time,
> which is ugly but https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git/ and
> other mirrors may tell you that both are available.

Yes, this would be a nice feature to have.  Oftentimes forges have
external functionality that needs to hook in to name changes, so they
might not choose to enable such an option, at least at first, but users
using things like Gitolite or simply bare repositories over SSH might
find this to be very useful.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA