Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/15] doc: add a policy for using Rust

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2025 16:39:30 +0000

On 2025-08-29 at 20:11:46, Ezekiel Newren wrote:
> Could you create a patch with your preferred wording about bindgen and
> cbindgen for me? I'd prefer to introduce bindgen/cbindgen in a
> different patch series because this one is already doing a lot just to
> make Rust exist in Git.

I think it's fine to introduce it in a different series.  I'll plan to
do that myself if it doesn't get done sooner.

My change to the text is the following:

Tools like bindgen and cbindgen create C-styled unsafe Rust code rather than
idiomatic Rust; where possible, we prefer to switch to idiomatic Rust.
However, we may use bindgen and cbindgen to share existing Git types as an
interim step.

You can find the patch at https://github.com/bk2204/git.git in the
`rust-policy` branch.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA