Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC 1/3] meson: add infrastructure to build internal Rust library

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2025 09:53:53 +0200

On Thu, Sep 04, 2025 at 11:50:14AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Add the infrastructure into Meson to build an internal Rust library.
> 
> I am a bit surprised that Meson needs to learn Rust now.  How have
> you been dealing with contrib/libgit-{sys,rs}?

Neither of these are wired up in Meson right now. There aren't really
any users, they don't expose a lot of functionality, and both of these
libraries aren't actively developed right now. So I didn't yet have any
motivation to wire them up just yet.

I also think we should reevaluate these once we officially support Rust
in core Git. It feels way more reasonable to design our new core Rust
code in a way that it can be pulled in as a crate right from the start.
Maybe it's just a matter of moving those libraries out of "contrib/" and
into our core Rust code?

Patrick