Subject: Re: Doing blobless clone by default; switching between blobless, treeless and full clones by a command

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2025 16:30:14 +0200

On Fri, Sep 05, 2025 at 09:40:49AM -0400, Derrick Stolee wrote:
> On 9/5/2025 8:23 AM, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 04, 2025 at 08:19:59AM -0400, Derrick Stolee wrote:
> 
> > So in general, the recommendation I typically give is to not use
> > treeless clones at all.
> 
> Rather, I'd say that treeless clones are useful if you want the
> speed of a shallow clone with some need to analyze commit history
> (with no path history) for an ephemeral scenario like a CI build.
> 
> Treeless clones are not a good approach for doing ongoing work as
> a human. They are a tool for a very narrow case, so don't use them
> unless you understand how to avoid their pitfalls.

Ah, yes. I should've quantified my statement a bit more carefully.
Thanks for adding in this angle.

Patrick