Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC v2 15/16] builtin/history: implement "split" subcommand

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2025 11:32:09 +0200

On Fri, Sep 12, 2025 at 02:26:04PM -0400, D. Ben Knoble wrote:
> Hm. I've pulled down v3, built it, and pushed to the same branch. The
> tip is e91e23546b (builtin/history: implement "reword" subcommand,
> 2025-09-04).
> 
> Now, a heavier-handed recipe:
> 
>     GIT_CONFIG_NOSYSTEM=1 GIT_CONFIG_GLOBAL=/dev/null bin-wrappers/git
> -c commit.verbose=true history split @~5
>     <input y,q> # once I even used "e" and added new diffs to the patch
> 
> I see the usual instructions:
> 
> # Please enter the commit message for the split-out changes. Lines starting
> # with '#' will be kept; you may remove them yourself if you want to.
> # Modifications qui seront validées :
> # modifié :         add-patch.c
> #
> 
> And finally I might know what happened, ha… if the "modified files" is
> the status information, then it has been there all along! Meanwhile, I
> was expecting a _diff_.
> 
> I'm actually _still_ expecting a diff with v3 and commit.verbose set,
> but I apologize if I've led you down a wild goose chase for the rest
> :)

Oh! I didn't even know this was a thing Git supports, I've never seen it
before. For the sake of simplicity I'd propose to keep this as-is for
now, but to amend that mode once the initial couple of patches have
landed.

Would that be fine with you?

Patrick