Subject: Re: customizing "cherry picked from commit abcd" comment

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2025 13:41:10 +0200

On Tue, Sep 30, 2025 at 08:39:29AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]> writes:
>> the pseudo-trailer is really just a hack in the first place, and
>> afaict that status quo results from an ideological commitment against
>> cherry-picks during the early history of git.
>
>I do not know what "an ideological commitment" refers to in this
>context,
>
it refers to the general notion "don't cherry-pick, but merge", which 
relegates cherry-picks to being a 2nd-class workflow.

>The intention was for the original commit to be also be public and
>in the same project (e.g., you cherry-pick a commit from the main
>branch developing towards the next great version, down to a
>maintenance branch for the previous release), [...]
>
yes, exactly. this trunk-first development model is quite common, and 
has been strongly pushed by some big players in recent years. this makes 
it really surprising that git still does not provide well-integrated 
support for it out-of-the-box.

based on your response i conclude that you would actually welcome such a 
thing very much, but the impression of a bias against cherry-picks is 
probably not unique to myself, and if so, it likely contributed to the 
persistence of the status quo.