Subject: Re: When should we release Git 3.0?

From: Taylor Blau <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2025 12:04:38 -0400

On Wed, Oct 01, 2025 at 08:13:12AM +0100, Luca Milanesio wrote:
> I am worried that if we rush into Git 3.0 with breaking changes that
> would make other “forges” (e.g. JGit) incompatible, we would be in a
> difficult situation with the other Git ecosystem that isn’t based on
> the C-Git implementation.

That's a good point. I am not familiar enough with JGit (or really any
non-standard Git implementations) to know where SHA-256 support is in
those respective implementations.

But regardless of whether we're talking about a forge that is based on
git.git or some other implementation, there is very likely lots of other
work to be done to support SHA-256 outside of flipping the hash function
within Git.

(I'm thinking here about database migrations for columns that may store
40-character SHA-1 hashes, for example, which can take a potentially
significant amount of time to migrate depending on the size of the
database, etc.)

So my feeling here is that we should take into account not just the
readiness of the underlying Git implementation used by hosting providers
in the Git ecosystem, but also the readiness of the hosting providers
themselves to do the work necessary to facilitate that transition
outside of their Git implementation.

Thanks,
Taylor