Subject: Re: When should we release Git 3.0?

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2025 22:16:40 +0000

On 2025-10-01 at 16:20:05, Michal Suchánek wrote:
> From my very limited point of view as a user the interop is the major
> planned feature currently missing in git, and I do not see much point
> without it. Then again I do not know how useful it will be in practice.

It is the major planned feature which was missing.

The primary use cases are converting repositories and working with
repositories using a different algorithm.  The latter might be useful if
you're using a SHA-256 repository that someone else has created but your
tooling cannot handle longer object IDs or otherwise has some limitation
of that sort.

If you are happy working with SHA-1 repositories in SHA-1 and SHA-256
repositories in SHA-256, then you don't need the interoperability work.
SHA-256 repositories have been supported in a compatible way since 2.29
or 2.30.

> Then again cloning a repository uses the correct hash which means if I
> create the repository on the forge and clone it there is no problem
> whatsoever regardless of hash used. Whill that break as well?

Cloning a repository always uses the existing algorithm.  The default
would change to create _new_ repositories created with `git init` with
SHA-256 (although you could change the settings to use SHA-1 instead),
but it wouldn't affect existing repositories.
-- 
brian m. carlson (they/them)
Toronto, Ontario, CA