Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/18] Introduce rust: In xdiff

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2025 18:15:57 +0200

On Mon, Sep 22, 2025 at 09:18:14AM -0600, Ezekiel Newren wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2025 at 7:01 AM Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I personally think either (A) or (B) would be good choices. I would
> > slightly lean towards (B) just so that we have something that we can
> > already play around with while building the next steps.
> 
> I'm fine with B if you fix the wording in your Breaking Changes about
> Rust being introduced in version 2.52. Rust was introduced to Git in
> 2.49.
> 
> Elijah points this out in 1 and 2:
> [1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/
> [2] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Will adjust.

> > By the way: I'm also happy to change attribution of some of the patches
> > in my patch series to mention Ezekiel as author. I don't care much who
> > is listed for the initial patches that introduce Rust, but would retain
> > my own authorship for the "varint" and "BreakingChanges" commits.
> 
> My only other concern is with varint. You use usize on the Rust side
> and then uint64_t on the C side, but I'm ok with fixing that later as
> it only breaks 'linux32 (i386/ubuntu:focal)' in the github workflows.

Oh, this is actually an oversight, good catch! I refactored "varint.c"
to use `uint64_t`, but then forgot to adjust the Rust side in the same
spirit. Will fix.

I suggested in [1] that I can change authorship of the patches that
introduce the initial infrastructure into Meson and our Makefile (so I
guess patches 1 and 3) to instead list you as author and myself as
Co-authored-by. Is that something you want? Given that you have
kickstarted the whole effort around introducing Rust again I wouldn't
mind that at all.

In any case, I'll send a new version of the series tomorrow.

Thanks!

Patrick

[1]: <[email-masked]>