Subject: Re: [PATCH v6 0/9] Introduce Rust and announce that it will become mandatory

From: Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2025 07:02:44 +0200

On Tue, Sep 23, 2025 at 02:15:35PM -0600, Ezekiel Newren wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2025 at 3:45 AM Patrick Steinhardt <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Your patch series has 2 critical problems:
>   * meson doesn't check for "is windows and using msvc" -> <crate>.lib
> else lib<crate>.a

I didn't wire Windows up yet, so this is a known omission. It's not
handled in the Makefile yet, either. My plan here was to tackle Windows
support as the immediate next step once this patch series lands.

Would that be fine with you?

>   * Using the name "git" for the crate is problematic because both
> Make and Meson already produce libgit.a which is different from the
> libgit.a that cargo is producing. Change the name in Cargo.toml from
> "git" to "gitcore".

I wasn't quite happy with the "git" name anyway, so I'll happily take
"gitcore" instead.

Thanks!

Patrick