Subject: Re: customizing "cherry picked from commit abcd" comment

From: Oswald Buddenhagen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2025 12:11:30 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2025 at 02:10:30PM +0200, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
>This makes it easier, when porting to v+1, to know if that commit still
>needs to be cherry-picked or is already included, and also makes it
>obvious to anyone reading the current history to know the "upstream
>status" of that commit.
>
i sometimes customize this pseudo-footer as well, but it's usually 
things like "(partially cherry-picked ...)" or "(... from 
<repo>/<sha1>)", etc.

your particular use case would imo be better addressed by implementing 
bi-directional linking between picked commits via a standardized 
git-notes namespace.

the pseudo-trailer is really just a hack in the first place, and afaict 
that status quo results from an ideological commitment against 
cherry-picks during the early history of git. but it's really kinda 
silly that subversion and perforce have better tracking of cherry-picks 
to this date, even when it's their only way to do merges.