Subject: Re: When should we release Git 3.0?

From: Michal Suchánek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2025 15:40:04 +0200

On Tue, Oct 07, 2025 at 03:21:28PM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2025 at 12:36:47PM +0200, Michal Suchánek wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 07, 2025 at 12:27:23PM +0200, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:
> > > The question of course is how to get such roadmaps. The easiest way to
> > > do it is probably to gather a list of known projects that would be
> > > impacted and just shoot maintainers or representatives of those an
> > > email? From the top of my head, that would include:
> > > 
> > >   - Implementations
> > >       - libgit2
> >           - pygit2
> > >       - JGit
> > >       - Gitoxide
> > >       - go-git
> 
> pygit2 is merely a binding for libgit2, so I didn't include it in this
> list. Same for other bindings like git2go or git2-rs.

Unfortunately, bindings do not automatically get the features of the
library they wrap. AFAIK libgit2 has experimental sha256 support and
pygit2 has none whatsoever. Altering the bindings to include sha256
support may involve significant design work. The native API may differ
significantly from the C API.

Both API may get broken as a result. That is pygit2 and libgit2 may
never get support, and we would need libgit3/pygit3 instead, or it may
vary depending on the language.

Thanks

Michal